Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Big Ass Seattle Post

We went to the Pacific Northwest last month.  I really hate when people call it that.  That's all Al Roker calls it. 

Anyways, here was our trip in ten pictures or less.


1.

This time around, our bed did not have any mysterious pink stains on the sheets.  It was a vast improvement for the start of our yearly January trip, and K is now appointed to all hotel bookings in the future. 

We woke up at 4:30 in Philly for an 7:30 flight, and then sat on the plan for 3 hours, causing us to miss our connecting flight in Denver.  We did not arrive at my parents house until 22 hours after we woke up. 

So, the pink stain wasn't looking so bad after all. 

K and I counted how many times I woke up before 8 on this trip, and it was something like five or six times.  Unacceptable. 

2.

Like the next morning.  It was for a good cause though. 

The bringing together of friends who haven't seen each other in too long.  We travelled into the big city for a late breakfast at Dahlia's with my mom, Tommy, and Nettie.  We witnessed the most genuine bro-mance (you're going to be mad that I said that on my blog, huh K?) over biscuits with pear butter, dill infused hollandaise sauce on poached eggs, and orange maple french toast.

The girls went to the wedding show, and the boys went to party at the Stadium.

Because, I don't know if you knew, but the Seahawks beat the Saints, thus insuring a Super Bowl victory.  Oh, it didn't work out that way? Hmmm, that's surprising.

But anyways, the city was infused with the spirit of football, and I kinda wish it was like that more often.

We dropped mom off a the ferry after the show, joined the boys, and found ourselves back at the Tides in Gig Harbor for a post-game victory dinner.

But, not before Tommy did something that will forever make him known as "That-guy-who-got-out-of-the-car-on-4th-ave-by-the-stadium-and-danced-like-an-ass-to-that-Rihanna-song".

Much love, Tommy.  It gives me hope for a spectacular solo dance at our wedding.

And I would like to apologize to Nettie, for I know she is getting way too many emails from photographers and wedding planners, after we entered her email into everything I did, in hopes of winning something. 
3.

On Monday, K and I went back to Seattle to meet some friends of ours over lunch, and then took the afternoon to ourselves.  We started the day at Lola's though, of course.  And I got some fizzy cucumber lemonade to go with my pancakes.  

4.

We walked around Pike Place, which was pretty empty, and cold, and surprise, they're remodeling most of it, so that was great.

We rallied though.

Do you know what we did?

Oh, my, did you know what we did?

5.

 Okay, I'm going to re neg on my 10 pics or less promise. I forgot that I was going to talk about Seatown Snack Bar. 

K had a crab cake BLT.

6.

I had the pleasure of dining on buckwheat blinis with smoked salmon and chive cream cheese.  I want those at my wedding. 

7.

8. And we finished the meal with some Spicy BBQ ribs with pears.


And that was Monday.  That's a great way to start the week.

Did you know that Pike Place has a great Polish Pottery shop?  I don't have any pictures, but take my word for it.


Here's the thing about Seattle, when it rains it pours.  When it snows, it's complete panic. 

It's kinda like this:

The weatherman is predicting 1-3 inches of snow tonight.

Seattle: OMG, it's going to snow.  Go get bread and fill the bathtub with water in case the power goes out.

Mid-afternoon, no snow yet.

Seattle: I think we should cancel school and send the kids home, because it's going to dump snow.

Snow starts coming down, gradually at 8:00 PM.

Seattle (at 8:01):  Holy Shit, come inside, it's snowing.  Don't drive anywhere because it's snowing.

There is about an inch and a half of snow on the ground.

Seattle: I'm going to try to get home as fast as possible, by leaving about a foot between me and the next driver, and drive 5 over the speed limit.  Why do those people have their 4 ways on?  Stupid jerks.

There is now 2 inches on the road.

Seattle:  F this, I'm pulling over and abandoning my car in the right lane on the highway.

9. 

Look at all that snow.  Shocking.

We prevailed though.  We slept in, watched the snow melt from the trees, and kept throwing logs on the fire. 

10.


Along came Wednesday, which was probably my favorite day of the trip.  We were in charge of the dinner and the Koviak's dessert and the location.  I made steak, mashed potatoes, shrimp, and asparagus, and Nettie supplied a Red Velvet cake.  We cooked together, laughed, drank, played Catchphrase, and started something that I'm sure we'll continue in the future. 

First Annual something something.  I haven't thought of a name for it yet. 

Okay, I take that back, because Friday was pretty awesome too.  We went to the range with Dad in the morning and then made homemade pizza and berry trifle for dinner.  Nettie and Tommy came over (we made up for lost time this trip, eh?) and we all played poker with my parents. 

I lost my 5 bucks, so did Mom.  Dad took his out, and that left Nettie and the boys.

"Let's go all in," Tommy said.

Kevin liked that idea.  Because Tommy said it and they have this bromance thing going on. 

Nettie looked at me, her eyes saying, "What do I do?!?"   I told her to hold onto her 5 bucks and put the rest in.  She did, still uncertain of herself. 

It was a simple 5 card draw.  Whoever had the best hand won everything.

Nettie won with a pair of Jacks, and the boys crumbled before us. 



I couldn't remember what we did Saturday. Now I remember.  We woke up at the crack of dawn to go see the cake guy, tried 4 samples and made our minds up, and left 20 minutes later

.............................................................................................................................

It was a good trip. 

We got a lot done for the wedding.

We caught up with great friends. 

We spent quality time at home with my family. 

And we made it home in under 22 hours.


The clouds at Denver looked so cool.

Anyways,  we won't be back until Summer.  See ya then, Seattle.

1 comment:

  1. I ESPECIALLY love this post, and I SUPER ESPECIALLY love YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like something good that you can't have just one of. Yeah, I'll go with that.