Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

#6: Take a mini-road trip

To somewhere more sunny. 

Unfortunately, road trips can only go so far when you plan them at one in the afternoon.  K had a eye appointment at 0845, to which they dilated the hell out of his beautiful blues.  And yes, he rocked the creepy terminator glasses that they give you at the doctors. Hotness. 

After the doctors, we had breakfast and watched the waitress yell at the line cook for a good 5 minutes.  Words like "tool bag" and "stoned" were used repeatedly-- all this over an argument about what's in French dressing. 

We rushed home after to feed the dogs (bad mommy, I know) and to grab my camera, because we were going to do something with our rare day off together. 

So around 1300, we grabbed some drinks and took off. 
Lame, I know.  But what do you want from a spontaneous road trip?  No excuse, you say?  Because there are Sheetz everywhere around here?  Oh well.

Drinks: check.  Music:  oh man, did we have music.  

LUCKILY, and strangely, my ancient cd holder--you know one of those black zipped binders where you can hold, like 200 cds-- was in the car.  No MP3s for this girl.   And do you know what was in that embarassingly old cd thingy? 

Dun dun dunnn.....


Freakin sweet right?

Music: so checked. Destination: well all we could come up with was Lancaster, PA.  A 45 min drive.  Through Amish country.  I'll take it. 

We drove, and we sang as loud as I've ever heard.  You know why? BECAUSE WE KNEW EVERY SINGLE WORD!   Ah, how I feel bad for my 14 year old brain.  We called out key changes and mimicked dance moves, and laughed, and laughed. 

At one point, K asked me, "Do you think less of me now?"

To which I replied, "No way! This is AWESOME!!"

He and I have known each other for 10 years, but we didn't know that we both listened to NSYNC until it was cemented into our not-yet-fully-developed-brains. 

Kinda makes me wish I studied Spanish like that when I was 14. 

So, Lancaster.  Amish country mixed in with Central Pennsylvania. You'll see buggies, you'll definitely see their "exhaust" laying on the road, and you'll also see clothes lines filled. 



But as you can see, it's still winter here (ah man), and so Lancaster was not as busy as I'd hoped.  No one's planting yet.  We took it for what it was and tried to make it a good road-trip anyways.  I'd pick a direction and then he would.  We drove over rolling hills and admired the farmscaping.  The grass is starting to brighten and pretty soon the fields will be busy.  This is one of the best things about living here.  Farms mean green and green means farm stands.  And even though I'll be planting my own little garden haven soon, there's nothing like farmstand produce.  Nothing.



And it was pretty sunny too.

Finally, a road trip calls for a pit stop.  Here was ours:



We stopped in Strasburgh, and had a bite to eat in their oh-so-cute store, which was filled with caramel apples, swedish fish, almond bark, and canned goods.  YES, I know it's probably a tourist trap, but what is a road trip, even a mini one, without that? 



And a buggy shot.  They don't like to be photographed, so I focused on the horse:


It was a good day.  We rolled down the windows, enjoyed some Elton John greatest hits on the ride home, and I rested my head against him as he drove.  Because, the best thing about a road trip, is sharing it with someone you love. Finding something new, discovering something together, laughing, and reminiscing:  that's what a road trip is all about. 

Thank you my incredible love, for humoring me and jumping in the car with me.  For singing loud and dancing in your seat.  For rockin those fine-ass terminator glasses.  For going back to the car at the pitstop and getting my camera.   For being you and loving me.  For ending the day with this:






Little did we know, this was a last-hoorah for a while for K's car.

Because yesterday, he hit a deer.  And that's all I'll say about the deer because I don't want to think sad thoughts. Yes, K's okay.

SO, (ah, don't think about the deer or the deer fur that was on his front bumper) anyways, today, is all about organizing and cleaning and putting things where they need to be.  BECAUSE, as good as days off with your love and his stupendous Justin Timberlake abilities are, getting things in order days are better.  They make you feel accomplished and like a super-girl.

My dog is eating everything in sight.  I need to finish this up.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Thank you for making me miss Lancaster! The pictures are gorgeous. And thanks for making me crave/miss Sheetz's customized pretzel sandwiches...which I have no way of getting you butt!

    2. If you haven't already, a road-trip tour idea is the "sex cities" there! Intercourse/Bird-In-Hand/etc....it's too fun =)

    3. Tell Kev I don't think less of him either for knowing all the words to N*Sync...absolutely amazing and I expect him to demonstrate his skills at our next karaoke disaster!!

    4. I love how you write! I hope eventually mine will become a little more organized and come into it's own...but I'm so scaterbrained so we'll see haha

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like something good that you can't have just one of. Yeah, I'll go with that.